Living On Less Money
Living on a smaller paycheck can be challenging. Online resources from University of Illinois Extension can help you make changes to avoid financial problems. Taking action sooner rather than later is key.
To think through how you could reduce expenses:
- Check the Spend Smart, Save Smart Tips.
- Get an overall game plan together for holding down expenses.
- Add up those little daily or weekly expenses to see how much they’re really costing you.
For help dealing with debt:
- Use the worksheet from Getting Through Tough Financial Times to get a handle on the amount of debt you have.
- Get help with questions about credit cards and credit history.
If you've already been having trouble paying the bills:
There's a lot more on University of Illinois Extension websites that you may find useful. If you like interactive tools for things like tracking expenses or managing debt, try the More for Your Money webpage. You can link to almost all of our personal finance and consumer info from U of I Extension's Home and Families webpage.
Contact your local Extension office to find out about money management programs and presentations that you can attend.
Source: Karen Chan, Consumer and Family Economics Educator, University of Illinois Extension