Best Walks for Fitness and Enjoyment
Illini Grove Walk
- Start point and end: CRCE (1102 West Gregory Drive)
- General description: This loop walk follows a largely car-free route through a wooded area of campus.
- Directions: Follow walking path from CRCE past the Red Oak Rain Garden and along the east side of the pond. Follow the path through the Illini Grove. Turn right onto Pennsylvania Ave. Turn right onto Dorner Drive. Continue on Dorner back to CRCE.
- Steps: 1,110
- Distance: 0.6 miles
- Time to walk at a moderate (15 – 20 minute mile) pace: 9 minutes
How To Lengthen This Walk
Continue on Pennsylvania to the South Quad. Turn right and walk between the Stock Pavilion and Agriculture Engineering Sciences buildings to enter the South Quad. Walk north through the South Quad. Turn right onto Gregory. Continue on Gregory to CRCE.
What's Great About This Walk
- This walk is easily accessible from central campus.
- It's quick—a good lunchtime walk.
- The walk features one of the nicest green areas of campus, Illini Grove. It provides a chance to relax and enjoy nature.
- The walk is largely car free—mostly away from roads, with no car intersections.
- Illini Grove is well-lit at night.
- This walk also offers an abundance of shade for extremely hot days.
- Many opportunities for recreation exist along this path.
What to Be Aware of on This Walk
- Some portions are shared walk/bike paths. Be aware of cyclists on the path.
- Combination shade and sun
- High-use buildings: McKinley Health Center, Allen Hall, Plant Sciences Building
- Recreational areas: Campus Recreation East Facility (CRCE), Illini Grove (picnic tables, grills, shelter, sand volleyball court), basketball court, tennis courts
- Eateries: Bevier Cafe
- Metered parking on Dorner
- Green areas: Illini Grove, Red Oak Rain Garden, Campus Pond