Best Walks for Fitness and Enjoyment
Main Quad Walk
- Start and end points: The south steps of the Illini Union
- General description: This is an easy walk around the perimeter of one of the campus's most historic and central locations.
- Directions: Start outside the Illini Union, then walk west for only a short bit until you reach the sidewalk that runs behind the Henry Administration Building. When you reach this sidewalk, start heading south. Continue on this sidewalk until you have passed Foellinger Hall. When you have reached the sidewalk just south of Foellinger Hall, start to move east. You will walk east for only a minute or so until you find a sidewalk that runs north to south near the backside of the Smith Memorial Hall. Take this sidewalk north until reach Noyes Lab and start to move west again. You should end up directly where you started.
- Steps: 1,077 steps
- Distance: 0.5 miles
- Time to walk at a moderate (15 – 20 minute mile) pace: 9 minutes
How to Lengthen This Walk
Walk the criss-cross diagonal sidewalks on the quad.
What's Great About This Walk
- Completely away from cars
- One of the most beautiful places on campus
- Lots of people and things to watch
- Adequate amounts of shade
- Very wide/new sidewalk
What to Be Aware of on This Walk
- The quad can be very congested at times, especially between classes
- Be on the lookout for bicycles
- High-use buildings: Illini Union, Altgeld Hall, Henry Administration Building, English Building, Lincoln Hall, Foellinger Auditorium, Main Library, Undergraduate Library, Smith Memorial Hall, Foreign Language Building, Davenport Hall, Chemistry Annex, Noyes Lab, Natural History Building, Harker Hall
- Eateries: Expresso Royale in the Undergraduate Library, Illini Union: Einstein Bros. Bagels, Jamba Juice, Ko Fusion, Qdoba Mexican Grill, Quad Cones, Quad Shop, Illini Union Rec Room, Sbarro, Starbuck's, Wendy's, Illini Union Vending Room