Best Ways to Walk Across Campus
Peabody Drive (East – West)
- Start and end points: Start at Peabody and First Street. End at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Goodwin Avenue.
- General description: This walk has been found to be a very underutilized east-to-west walk path on the University of Illinois campus.
- Directions: Start at the corner of Peabody Drive and First Street and begin walking east. After walking past the intersection of Peabody and 6th Street, you will notice that the road stops, but as a pedestrian you may continue ahead. A path emerges that takes you past the Stock Pavilion on the South Quad and then under an archway through the Agriculture Engineering Sciences Building. Following this you continue on a southeastern path all the way to the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Goodwin Avenue.
- Steps: 1,494
- Distance: 0.7 miles
- Time to walk at a moderate (15 – 20 minute mile) pace: 12 minutes
How to Lengthen this Walk
Continue east down Pennsylvania Avenue
What's Great About This Walk
- Very little vehicle interruption
- Not extremely busy
- Has some very aesthetically beautiful points
What to Be Aware of on This Walk
- The walk path east of the Agriculture Engineering Sciences Building is in need of a little repair and could use lighting
- The intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and Goodwin Avenue has no crosswalk or sidewalk on its southern side
- High-use buildings: Activities and Recreation Center (ARC), Ikenberry Commons, Krannert Art Museuem, Natural Resources Building, Law Building, Education Building, Agriculture Engineering Sciences Building, and the Stock Pavilion
- Eateries: Pekara located inside the Activities and Recreation Center, Espresso Royale located in the Krannert Art Museum, Derald's Catering located in the Law Building
- Areas of interest: Bell Tower on the South Quad, the South Quad