Sustainability Themed Walk
- Start point and end: University YMCA (1001 South Wright Street, Champaign)
- General description: This sustainability-themed loop takes you through eight environmentally conscious locations on campus. From the Business Instructional Facility (BIF)’s roof solar panels to the Red Oak Rain Garden, you’ll get a sample of how Illinois strives to be green.
- Directions: Head south out of YMCA. Turn right on Armory and left on Sixth to reach BIF. Go west to the Student Dining and Residential Programs building (SDRP). Go south down Euclid to the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC). Head east on Peabody and turn right on Sixth. Turn left on Pennsylvania; pass the Campus Bicycle Shop. Take the sidewalk on the east side of the Stock Pavilion; turn right at the first intersection, left at the second, right at the third to reach the Graduate Dance Center. Head south and follow the curve left along Peabody. Turn left on Dorner and go north to Red Oak Rain Garden (on right, adjacent to Allen Hall). Head back to YMCA—west down Gregory, right at the Morrow Plots, and left past the Undergraduate Library back to Wright.
- Steps: 4,922
- Distance: 2.5 miles
- Time to walk at a moderate (15 – 20 minute mile) pace: 42 minutes
How to Lengthen This Walk
After visiting the Red Oak Rain Garden, head back to the Main Quad and go north just past Green Street to see the Boneyard Creek before taking Wright back to the YMCA.
How to Shorten This Walk
Instead of turning at BIF, keep going south down Sixth, bypassing SDRP and the ARC.
What's Great About This Walk
- It's an opportunity to learn about many of the ways Illinois strives for sustainability
- Typically a lot of other people and things to watch
- New scenery during the entire 2.5 miles
- Plenty of buildings with restrooms and water fountains along path
What to Be Aware of on This Walk
- Several areas on this walk can be high traffic (foot, bike, and vehicle), especially during the academic year.
- This walk may be too long for some people. If you or fellow walkers are unsure, make sure to take a map in order to get back to your starting point in the shortest route.
- Combination shade and sun
- High-use buildings: YMCA, Lincoln Hall, Gregory Hall, Main Library, BIF, Armory, Huff Hall, SDRP, ARC, Krannert Art Museum, Plant Sciences Lab, CRCE, Undergraduate Library (UGL)
- Eateries: Espresso Royale in BIF, Krannert, and UGL; SDRP
- Additional sustainable features: Zipcar parking, bike repair station