Eat Well for Less: $20 Healthy Meals for Four
Healthful dining doesn't have to be a drain on your pocketbook. The following two meals are economical and easy to prepare.
Meal Number 1
1 serving chicken and rice + 1 cup steamed fresh broccoli + 1 sliced apple + 1 cup 1% milk + ½ cup homemade pudding
Chicken and Spanish Rice (4 servings)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup green peppers
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce (can use low sodium variety)
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
- 5 cups cooked brown rice (cooked in unsalted water)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken breasts, cooked, skin and bone removed, and diced
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and green peppers in oil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce and spices. Heat through.
- Add cooked rice and chicken. Heat through.
Serving Size: 1 ¾ cups
Per Serving: Calories 450, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Sodium 361 mg, Protein 38 g, Carbohydrate 56 g, Calcium 50 mg, Fiber 9 g
Meal Number 2
1 serving turkey meatloaf + 1 cup steamed mixed frozen veggies + 1 slice whole grain bread + 1 cup 1% milk + ½ cup vanilla ice cream topped with 1 sliced banana
Turkey Meatloaf (4 servings)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup regular oats, dry
- 1 large egg, whole
- 1 Tbsp onion, dehydrated flakes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Bake in a loaf pan at 350 °F for 25 minutes or to an internal temperature of 165 °F.
- Cut into five slices and serve.
Serving Size: 1 slice (4 oz)
Per Serving: Calories 230, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 124 mg, Sodium 260 mg, Protein 28 g, Carbohydrate 10 g, Fiber 1g
Source: Susie Kundrat, ARC Wellness Services Nutrition Expert
Recipes from: The Inflammation-Free Diet Plan