Benefits FAQ

How do I calculate if a job is benefits eligible?
Before calculating whether the employee is eligible for benefits or not, you must first know if they are in a status that would make them eligible. The employee must be a U.S. citizen, or permanent resident, on a H1 visa, or must have met substantial presence if they hold a F1 or J1 visa. Once you have determined that, the calculation is as follows:

Number of Months worked / 9 x FTE = percent

If percent is equal to or greater than .5, the employee will be eligible for benefits. The Benefits Center will code the Benefit Category (BCat) based on the eligibility (part-time or full-time).

What is my vacation and/or sick leave balance?
Balances as of the previous August 15 can be found on your October and November earnings statements (even past years). If you need updated balance information, you will need to work with your employing department for which you work. Use the instructions below to access your earnings statement.

1. Access My UI Info at https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/myinfo
2. Find the My Pay tile
3. Click Earning Statement
4. Follow the instructions in the Take Action box.
5. Log on with your NETID and Active Directory password (contact Technology Services Help Desk at 244-7000 if you have not established your login ID or forgotten your password.)
6. Enter your 4 digit PIN (if you need to create one or have forgotten your PIN, click on the "Your PIN" link and follow the instructions); click “Submit.”
7. You should then see your Current Earnings Statement.
8. If you wish to see past earnings statements, click on the "View Past Statements" link at top and select which pay period you wish to see from the drop-down menu provided.

When should I expect to receive my payout of vacation and/or compensable sick leave upon separation from the University?
While the University makes every attempt to expedite the payout of vacation and/or sick leave, there are many factors that can impact the timing. The separation process is a multi-step process that can’t even begin until after the employee receives their last regular paycheck. After that, the unit is responsible for initiating the separation process. Overpayments and underpayments can affect the timing of the payout. Employees should work with their unit to ensure timely processing of the payout. Due to timing issues and the multiple steps involved, the payout can take several weeks to be processed.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my insurance?
The Benefits Center handles questions related to health, life and dental insurance. You can reach them by calling (217) 333-3111 or (217) 333-3112, or by e-mail at benefits@uillinois.edu.

Who do I contact if I have questions about the State Universities Retirement System (SURS)?
Questions regarding SURS should be directed to SURS at (217) 378-8800.