New Hires

New Hire Resources

Finding & Applying for Vacancies

If your employee is interested in competing for your vacancy or one in another unit, the following resources are available.

  • They may wish to receive notification of job postings. To subscribe, click on this link or email, leave the subject line blank, type SUB ACJOB-L in the body of the message, and click send. (Available for University of Illinois employees and students.)
  • There is an Illinois Job Board which lists all vacancies at the university. Online applications must be completed through the Illinois Job Board.

Graduate Assistantship Resources

Graduate student appointments. There are four types of graduate assistantships.

  • Research Assistant: The duties of a Graduate Research Assistant primarily involve applying and mastering research concepts, practices, or methods of scholarship. Examples of typical responsibilities include conducting experiments, organizing or analyzing data, presenting findings in a publication or dissertation, collaborating with faculty in preparing publications, overseeing work of other RAs, other research activities.
  • Pre-Professional Graduate Assistant: Pre-Professional Graduate Assistants are appointed to non-TA/non-RA assistantship positions, in which they primarily gain experience, practice, or guidance that is significantly connected to their fields of study and career preparation.
  • Teaching Assistant: The duties of a Graduate Teaching Assistant are primarily in support of instruction and include such responsibilities as teaching classes, grading student assignments, leading lab or discussion groups in a course setting, developing academic instructional materials, accompanying/coaching musical or vocal performances, providing artistic instruction, proctoring exams, overseeing/coordinating the work of other TAs, holding office hours, and tutoring students.
    Teaching assistant positions are covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Graduate Employee Organization (GEO).
  • Graduate Assistant (Administrative): The duties of a Graduate Assistant are primarily in support of administrative functions and include such general functions and typical duties as providing technical/support services, advising students, etc. Graduate Assistants (Administrative) are covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Graduate Employees' Organization (GEO).

Graduate Employees' Organization (GEO) is the bargaining unit that represents administrative graduate assistants and teaching assistants. The 2017-2022 agreement provides additional details (PDF).

2020 Graduate Assistant Orientation Dates

  • Thursday, September 10th from 3 – 4:30 p.m. via Zoom
    Meeting URL:
  • Tuesday, September 15th from 9 – 10:30 a.m. via Zoom
    Meeting URL:
  • Visiting Academic Professionals

    Visiting Academic Professionals are covered under a bargaining agreement. The VAP contract (PDF) provides additional details.

    Employment Information for International Individuals

    If you need a social security card, you need to complete the Social Security Card Application (SS-5). The local Social Security Office is located at 101 South Country Fair Drive in Champaign. They can be reached at (217) 398-5399 or Toll Free at 1-800-772-1213.

    Additional information for international individuals can be found at the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Web page. ISSS’s office is located in room 400 of the Student Services Building, which is at 610 East John Street in Champaign.

    Faculty/Staff Assistance Services

    Faculty/Staff Assistance Services provides personal, professional, and confidential assistance to all faculty, staff, retirees, and members of their households who are experiencing difficulties that interfere with their wellbeing and/or their ability to work.


    The i-card is an employee’s official university identification card.  The faculty/staff i-card gives an employee access to the library and free rides on the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (CU-MTD).  An employee’s appointment must be entered into Banner before a faculty/staff i-card will be issued.  Employees will need to stay in contact with their departmental HR representative to know when their appointment is in Banner and when they can request an i-card.  Information about i-cards and getting an i-card can be found at the i-card website.

    Information Sheet

    New Hire Resources Information Sheet

    Employee Resources