Chancellor's Distinguished Staff Award
Chancellor's Distinguished Staff Award Nomination Form
Nominee must be a full-time or part-time permanent civil service staff employee at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign for at least two years by the nomination deadline, April 25, 2022, and have a good work record. Retirees are eligible if they were employed in a status appointment during the calendar year. Employees who have previously received the award are not eligible for nomination. See the Distinguished Staff Hall of Fame for a listing of past winners.
Nominations may be made by any member of the campus community (staff, faculty, or student). In the event multiple nominations are submitted for one employee, only the first nomination received will be considered for the award. Once semi-finalists are chosen the nominator will be notified. At that time, Illinois Human Resources will contact the nominators of finalists to submit at least one, but no more than three, letters of support. A minimum of one of the letters must come from the nominee's current employing unit head or his/her designee. These papers will be placed in each nominee's personnel file. The name of the nominator will be released to the nominee on request. All winners will be notified of their nominator.
Fill out the nomination form which can be found at the bottom of this page and submit it by the posted deadline.
The nomination form should include descriptions of how the nominee meets three of the five criteria listed on the nomination form.
Examples are given under each criterion on the “2022 CDSA Rating Sheet Guide”, which can be found here, to assist nominators in determining where specific examples or qualities are included within criteria. Provide at least two specific examples under each criterion for support in addition to a general description of the nominee's characteristics on this criterion.
All nominations are submitted to the Selection Committee. A committee appointed by the Chancellor will administer the award program. A representative from Illinois Human Resources will staff the committee. Members of the Selection Committee will not be eligible for the award. Nominees are divided by job groups and awards are given in these categories. Nominees are judged and compared to their peers in the award category. Examples and achievements are only considered if they are related to the nominee's work in the department and/or the university.
Choose only three to write about:
(Under each criterion is a list of examples for that criterion)
Demonstrates excellence in overall work performance
- Accepts responsibilities and performs duties above and beyond what is normally expected
- Works diligently to help complete a critical work project
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge and competence in a wide array of work-related topics
- Uses knowledge and expertise to quickly troubleshoot/solve problems
- Handles a large workload in an effective and timely fashion
- Completes tasks with little description, direction, or supervision
- Exhibits a high degree of professionalism and serves as a checkpoint for quality control
Promotes positive morale by displaying a congenial, supportive attitude and providing service to others
- Interacts with others in a positive, enthusiastic, and cheerful manner
- Commands the respect of co-workers, supervisor, students, and clients alike
- Assists others with both personal and professional challenges that impact work life
- Remains calm and assured in a crisis while helping others get through the crisis
- Provides services that are outside the scope of normal work duty
- Acts as a team player and encourages teamwork in others
Puts forth an effort to improve self as well as to develop and recognize others
- Acts as a mentor for others by providing advice, guidance, feedback, and encouragement
- Helps to integrate new employees or supervisors into the work environment
- Shares personal knowledge and skills with others in an effort to train them
- Serves as a positive role model for others
- Recognizes others' special events and/or accomplishments, either publicly or privately
- Takes the initiative to improve individual skills and knowledge
Exhibits initiative and creativity resulting in improved operating efficiency of the department and/or the university
- Suggests and/or develops new work methods that increase productivity and save time and money
- Reorganizes work to increase effectiveness
- Eliminates unnecessary steps or actions for delivering services
- Identifies and addresses work problems and helps to resolve them
Enhances the image of the department and/or the university
- Serves on university-related committees that promote the department/university and its staff, students, and clients
- Works with groups outside the department/university to promote the welfare of staff, students, and clients
- Performs work that brings attention and distinction to the department/university
- Develops processes or programs that are imitated in other departments/universities
Nominee Information Form
Use the link below to nominate a civil service staff employee for this award.
Online Nomination Form