Separating Employees

Procedures for Deceased Employees

Upon the death of an employee, there are procedures that the Home Unit, campus Human Resources, and University Payroll and Benefits must follow in order to process the separation and payout of any compensable leave and regular pay due the employee.  The information below describes the procedure. 

Departmental Procedures
Units are to call or email the appropriate campus Human Resources representative (indicated below) of the employee’s death as soon as the unit becomes aware.  This notification is separate from the HRFE transaction processing.

Chicago Campus

Springfield Campus

Urbana-Champaign Campus

Human Resource Service Center
715 South Wood Street
HRB 401, m/c900
Chicago, IL 60612
(312) 413-3490
(312) 996-1803

Human Resources
One University Plaza
HRB 30
Springfield, IL
(217) 206-7078
(217) 206-7145

Civil Service/Extra Help Employees

Staff Human Resources
52 East Gregory
m/c 562
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 333-3105
(217) 244-7304

Academic Employees (including Graduate Students, Academic Hourly)

Academic Human Resources
IUB 420
807 S. Wright St., M/C 310
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 333-0033
(217) 333-4019

Unit Human Resources Procedures

Following notification to campus Human Resources, process a Separation Transaction in the HR Front End (HRFE) to end the job and update the Employee Leave Balances Form (PEALEAV) in Banner for academic employees.  Leave balances for civil service employees should be updated via an Adjustment Notification Application (ANA), leave balance adjustment, if needed.  

  • If the death occurred prior to the start of a payroll calc, no additional action is needed to ensure proper payment of regular salary. 
  • If the death occurred during the payroll calc but prior to the calc completion, submit a PARIS Current Pay Adjustment to zero out the earnings.  
  • If the death occurred after a payroll calc, but before the pay date, email notifying of the need for a pay stop. Then, submit an ANA Pay Stop to initiate the pay stop.
  • If the death occurred after a payroll calc and the paycheck has been issued, process an ANA to reflect the overpayment.  UPB will then take the appropriate action(s).

Submit a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) in PARIS to pay out any compensable benefits or regular pay due to an employee. All payments after the date of death must be made to the employee’s estate. (Note:  UIS Campus HR initiates the PUA in PARIS)

See the OBFS PARIS Resource Page for job aids and tutorials for processing transactions in PARIS.

See the OBFS Job Aids & Training Materials for job aids on processing overpayments in ANA.

Campus Human Resources Procedures

When the campus HR representative receives notice of an employee’s death, the family at the employee’s permanent address will be contacted via U.S. postal mail to express condolences and to identify a point of contact in the Campus HR office.

The Campus HR contact will request documentation needed to finalize the employment/benefit processes (listed below). The person representing the estate may choose to send the documentation via mail or make an appointment with the appropriate campus HR representative for review and submission of the documentation. 

These documents are required in order to issue tax statements (W2) to the beneficiary of the estate.

Required Documents:

  • A copy of the will or small estate affidavit or Judge’s Letter of Administration/Office
  • A certified copy of the Original Death Certificate
  • Vendor Information Form
  • A copy of the government issued photo identification (ex: Driver’s License, State ID, Passport) of the person representing the estate

University Payroll and Benefits Procedures

The University Payroll and Benefits Office will process the final payout upon receipt of all required documentation, the HRFE Separation, the Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) in PARIS and/or the Adjustment Notification Application (ANA).

All checks will be made out to the estate of the deceased and mailed to the address indicated on the Vendor Information Form. For questions regarding the status of the decedent’s payout, please contact the appropriate campus Payroll Service Center.

Chicago Campus

Springfield Campus

Urbana-Champaign Campus

Payroll Services
MAB - Room 118, M/C 547
809 South Marshfield Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60612
Phone: (312) 996-7200
Fax: (312) 996-1932

Payroll Services
One University Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62703
Phone: (217) 206-7211
Fax: (217) 206-7010

Payroll Services
HAB – Room 177, M/C 318 508 South Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Phone: (217) 265-6363
Fax: (217) 244-1908

Final Campus Human Resources Procedures

After any payout of leave and regular pay has been made and the Last Paid Date has been assigned to the HRFE Separation Transaction by University Payroll, Campus HR will finalize the HRFE Separation Transaction and send information to SURS, if applicable.